Sunday, October 28, 2012

Still Hot for Nano: Author Guest Blog

Still Hot for Nano!

Writing is my ‘day job’. For me, finding time to write isn’t a problem, so why am I still hot for Nano?

For those of you who don't know, Nanowrimo is short for the National Novel Writing Month. Thousands of people all over the world pledge to write 50,000 words during the month of November. There are forums and rules and fun little computer graphics but in the end it's about putting 50K on paper, come hell or high water.

Here’s why I’m still counting down the days to Nanowrimo 2012!

-          Nano forces me to push the envelope

I generally spend four to six hours a day writing, Monday through Friday. The number of quality words I get out of that varies. Sometimes I spend that time on one page. Sometimes I crank out five thousand words. Most of the time, I'm revising. But on average, my monthly totals are closer to 25K. Nano forces me to reach for higher numbers.

-          Word orgies

You can’t be too stingy or selective with words if you’re going to cross the Nano finish line. Writing in Nano-mode lets me linger in a scene and pour out the words like wine. Drowning in words always leads me to new expressions, new revelations on how to turn what I’m seeing in my head into something complete on the page.


-          Total Immersion

Nano requires that I devote myself entirely to the written word. Entirely, being the operative word. Everything else falls before the mighty Nano drive in November. TV, date nights, coffee with friends, eight hours of sleep a night…they all have to wait until December 1st.  (I do try to sneak in some football and The Walking Dead on Sundays)

-          Bondage

I am a born perfectionist and my inner critic uses a bullhorn 24/7. She disrupts my train of thought on a daily basis, but during Nano I tie her up, slap duck tape over her mouth and stick her in the corner.  November is probably the only month of the year when my Constant Critic falls silent.

-          Re-Kindling an Old Flame

Okay, truth time. I love what I do, but it’s not all champagne and roses. I spend a good part of my day doing things related to writing, but not actually writing. Nano gives me an excuse to put some of those marketing, blogging, research and revising responsibilities on the back burner. It gets me back to doing what I love. It reminds me why I chose this profession and lets me fall in love all over again.

I've been doing Nano since 2004. Do I always cross the goal line? No. Do I always feel like a winner? YES! Because whether I hit the magic number or not, the creative release, the rush of adrenaline that comes from a frenzy of creative energy can’t be matched! Besides, I’m in it for the romance, not the ring.

So if 50K feels like the impossible dream, jump on in anyway. Whether you write 10K or 50K, I promise, you’ll feel like a winner!  

Kristi Jones

3 comments:

Sandra Bunino said...

Great post, Kristi! I'll remember your tips as I dive head first into NaNo in a couple of days. :)

Kristi Jones said...

Thanks, Sandra!
I get excited about it every year! :) Can't wait to 'write with abandon'!
Kristi

Carlene Love said...

Kristi, I know we are 11 days in but I'm gonna share this with my NaNo friends to remind them why we all signed up in the first place! Great post, thank you.