Monday, January 21, 2013

Manlove Appreciation from Nicola Cameron

Genre: Erotic Alternative (MM) Romance

Heat Level: 3

Word Count: 31, 970

ISBN: 978-1-77130-208-1

Editor: Marie Medina

Cover Artist: Sour Cherry DesignsThis week is all about Manlove appreciation and kicking us off is Nicola Cameron with her thoughts on why she likes to write M/M romance....

As a straight female who is absolutely fascinated with penises, one of the fun things for me about writing M/M romance is that I get to write about what I like to look at, times two (or more, depending on the story). I adore men's bodies, and it doesn't have to be a 20something hardcore gym rat, either -- some grey in the hair and a touch of softness around the waist on a man in his prime can be just as sexy as washboard abs and a bubble butt (Rupert Graves, I'm looking at you). So when it's time for me to go to my Happy Place and come up with a pairing for a story, I find that my go-to image tends to be two (or more) gorgeous men who are so desperate and in love they're going to explode if they can't touch each other, fucking each other senseless until they're covered with sweat and cum, the bed is broken, and all the neighbors know their names. (Why, no, I don't have a problem with bodily fluids, why do you ask? :-))

On a more serious note, I also find that there's a certain emotional freedom in writing M/M romance. The sex can be rougher, more primal, which I find extremely hot. And while there's an emotional connection between the characters, it doesn't have always be front and center. Sometimes, it's morning and the guys don't want to bother with a shower or a shave. They just want to bang, and that's totally fine (not to mention kinda fun to watch). While this is certainly possible to do with M/F romances, I've found it's much harder to pull that off and keep the characters realistic.

Finally, the emotional dynamic between two or more men is different than the dynamic between a man and a woman, and I find that fascinating to explore both as a woman and a writer (my husband, bless his heart, has gotten used to me popping my head around the door of his office and saying, "Honey, would a guy do this..."). One thing I really work towards in my M/M stories is keeping my masculine characters realistically male. Yes, they're gay or bi, but I don't want them to be oddly hairy chicks with dicks -- I want them to be guys. I personally find it annoying when a so-called M/M romance is just a thinly disguised M/F dynamic and the smaller/beta/submissive partner is given a penis to make it male-on-male. The main character in my current novel is shorter and seemingly less powerful than either of his male partners, but he definitely becomes the driving force in that relationship.

You can find Nicola Cameron here.

No comments: