Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Author Raven McAllan dishes about ideas and an interesting plane ride...


So, I looked at the date and had a panic attack.  I'm doing the EP blog…argh, what do I talk about? Who wants to hear me rambling on anyway…

Okay, half and hour later, and suitably fortified with wine and chocolate, here we are again.

Ideas. 

Where do they come from? I get asked that so often and I always draw a blank. If I knew I'd market the idea (haha) or at least jot it down in a document to be pulled up every time I sit and look at a blank screen. I don't mean write an idea down, but note how I come up with them.

An idea or a theme can hit me at any time and for no reason. Take the other day, I was in the shower and I got an idea for a story. Now it had nothing to do with showering or water, but by the time I'd got out I'd a rough idea of the beginning of a story. I never get a complete exact plot, because I'm a pantster. I have the start and where I'd like it to go, but my characters are stubborn, so they take over. I just write the thing. This doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me.

I sometimes wake up, with an idea hovering just out of reach. That is infuriating. As is an idea hitting me as I'm about to go to sleep. I've now learned to get out of bed and jot it down, because I know I won't remember it. Trying to decipher my scrawled notes can be a bit of a challenge though.

Scenery helps. Not necessarily because it's part of the plot, but because it can put me in a mood to write. Lets face it if I'm sitting on a deck over the Indian Ocean, sipping champagne, and watching the sunset…well…you get the idea? Likewise if I'm comfy in front of the fire watching the snow outside, it’s a great feeling. And I write.

I don't have a particular person in mind for a hero or heroine when I write. Lots of people do, I only tend to have a very rough idea, ie blue eyes, long dark hair, and a six pack, or long red curly hair stereotypical green eyes and a red head's temper, (or something along those lines). As I'm sure some of you will have heard me say, a lot of this is due to a friend. Once, when I'd decided who my hero should look like and got a cover with a good lookalike on it, she hated it all. Because she didn't see the hero like that and it put her off the book. This got me to thinking, and I realized that I preferred to make my own mind up about what the hero and heroine looks like. (Or heroes heroines or any combination thereof.) Give me a rough idea and oh my can I build my own special person in my mind.

It's horses for courses. We're all individuals and all have our own likes and dislikes (thank goodness). Who the hero or heroine reminds us of, whether we love or hate them or the way they talk/dress/behave. It's down to one person. Ditto reviews, its one person's view. Personally I think we're lucky we can have our opinion and share it.

Which brings me back (I hope) to ideas. They can strike anywhere and at any time, and I've learned not to fight it. I almost made a white van man crash, as I worked out a hot sex scene sat in my car at a red light. The trouble was, I'd forgotten the top was down, and his van was stopped next to me with the windows open…yes, well…

I find I write very well on a plane. I've had some very interesting chats to cabin crew on some long haul flights. Stories about the mile high club, obnoxious passengers and who ate all the chocolate. No, it wasn't me. I've told the story before but I still giggle when I remember this. On a long haul flight home from South Africa, I'd written a rather hot scene in a regency story I was in the middle of, and needed to go to the loo. The plane we were on has its seats set at an angle so you don't disturb anyone as you get up. Off I went, and left my laptop open on the footstool. When I came back there was a guy reading my M/S, and I swear he was about to scroll down, his hand was hovering. Well either that or delete it all. I said excuse me, and he moved in to let me past. So I did the oh no I'm sitting here routine and he said oh sorry and walked away. Not a work about the fact he'd been reading. When I wandered down to get a drink later, a couple of cabin crew were there and asked me if I was the lady in seat ***? When I said yes, they laughed and replied that the two gents in seats *** and *** want to know what happens once she gets on the bed and faces the headboard… and that is now another idea…

I'm very lucky to be an Evernight author. My ideas are wide and varied, and I get the chance to indulge them. I write both Regency and contemporary stories, and love it. The House on Silk Street Series, Silver Silk Ties and A Shimmer of Silk  are Regency stories as is my free read Where There's A Will.  I'm lucky to be in the company of very talented authors in several anthologies and my next story is a Romance On The Go, Will you Dance Miss Laurence? A contemporary hot little number out on March 19th

Thanks for reading. Keep you ideas flowing, and if anyone can tell me why I dreamed of an elephant of my lawn, please let me know.

Take care.

Love  Rx

The House on Silk Street, 2
Deborah may not know the full truth about her childhood, but she knows she needs to find her soul. During one of her performances at Silk Street, she attracts the attention of Oliver, Lord Craster. Known for his extreme tastes, he sensed a kindred soul in Deborah.

Persuading her that their needs mesh proves a challenge, even to a man of his experience.  Will Oliver be the man she needs to unlock her secrets? Or will his dominance scare her too much to even try?
Be Warned: BDSM, spanking, sex toys, anal sex.

8 comments:

Leona said...

OH my GAWD! LOLOL LOVE THE STORIES *still giggling* We write a lot a like...the ideas just...happen. ;)

gayl-taylor.com said...

bloody hell...Blogger keeps eating my comments...

Raven McAllan said...

Glad I made you giggle Leona... and Gayl, I can see you :)
Someone also told me that they had been asked if they'd read my bookS ( plural) They were disgusting. So the questioner had read them all then to know that? lol

Dee Little said...

Fab post Raven :) Love the stories!

Doris O'connor said...

No matter how many times I read that story on the plane I still giggle, lol.
Fab post, Raven.

Cherie Nicholls said...

I just love it!

Raven McAllan said...

Thanks Dee, Doris, and Cherie,... I was very careful NOT to include the story of nine writers sat around my kitchen table with wine...

Elyzabeth M. VaLey said...

LOL

Loved the plane story and ditto on deciphering scribbled notes xD Great post, Raven!