Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Cure for Writer's Block by Elyzabeth M. VaLey


You know how Raven McCallan was panicking on Evernight’s Blog post a few weeks ago? I find myself in the same situation.  It’s Friday evening and I should have already turned this in. I find myself staring blankly at the screen, writing a few sentences just to delete them a few seconds later

I’ve had my coffee, pumped up my music and placed my fingers over the keyboard. The right way too. Seconds tick by. I start tapping my right foot. I stare at the keyboard until my sight blurs. I switch feet. I glance at the screen. Nothing. Words have not magically appeared on the white canvas. My eyes slide to my sleeping dog. He’s an adorable black lab we adopted almost two years ago. (Wow, time flies.) For once, he’s not jumping and begging to go out to play. He does that a lot, especially when I’m concentrated and busy trying to write. 

It’s his modus operandi. Something must be off today. I know what it is and he, it seems, does too. I have—brace yourself: Writer’s Block. 

Gasp. Choke. Cough.

Yes. Yes. I admit it. My name is Elyzabeth M. VaLey and I’ve been going through Writer’s Block for more than two weeks now. 

Writer’s Block: That dreaded ailment that can strike any author at any time. That illness that leaves a writer stuck, trembling and wondering if they were ever any good at that thing called writing, in the first place. 

Each writer experiences it in their own way. For some, it means that the voices in their head aren’t talking. For others, it could mean that half way through a project the words stop flowing, either because they meet a dead end (suddenly realizing that everything they’ve written before is useless) or because they simply don’t know what the next step in the novel is. Sometimes, fear can create writer’s block (Is my writing any good? Will someone actually read this? etc).  Other times, daily life can be the culprit of the writer’s century old malady (work stress, kids, family, pets, finances, health...). 

We’ve got a cause (more or less), but how about the cure? What do we do to fix this unproductive phase?  

In my case, the first thing I did was try to force myself to write. Using my Wednesday Brief prompt, I completed my 500-1000 word count. Yay! Sickness cured. Case closed.

Not so fast. 

Though I had managed to get some creative writing done, when I was finished and attempted to pick something new I once again found myself knee deep and drowning in an empty sea of words without meanings. It was like one of those dreams in which you’re about to kiss the object of your affection and the alarm clock rings. Imagine you’re with Joe Manganiello. He’s there, a few steps away from you, shirtless, arms wide open. His eyes are beseeching, begging you to climb those three steps and come into his embrace. You take a step forward. It starts to rain, the drops of water sliding down Joe’s muscular torso. You take another step, already seeing yourself licking him dry. Another step. You reach out, your fingertips grazing his hot flesh. 

BEEP. BEEP. RING. RING. 

Pick your object of choice. The alarm clock goes off, someone calls you. Whatever. Poof, it’s all gone up in smoke. There went Joe and there went my creativity when I attempted to write something other than my Wednesday flash fiction. 

More cures? I tried outlining a project. Didn’t work.  When it came to sitting down and actually typing, I was blank. I went on long walks to get my blood pumping and my imagination soaring. Nothing. Nada. Zero. I looked at pictures of possible heroes and heroines, listened to music, doodled... to no avail. 

I started to despair. 

Then, a post on Facebook caught my eye. It was one of those popular Keep Calm posters that said” Keep calm and read on”. 

The words stuck with me. I’m not only a writer, I’m a reader too! So, that’s exactly what I’ve been doing. 

Words aren’t coming (for now) but I know they’ll eventually return. The muse is devious but she always comes back. For instance, The Golden Cock my Evernight Naughty Fairy Tale and my latest release took me two-three weeks to write. My upcoming Romance on the Go Welcome Aboard took me one week to complete. Writing isn’t an easy profession. Sometimes the words flow and sometimes they don’t. 

However, as a reader, words, worlds, characters and more are always there. Heck, Joe even Manganiello is there, and so is any other hottie you’ve ever dreamed of. The benefits of reading are endless, so, regardless of your profession, if you’re stressed, nervous, bored, etc, remember the sage advice:  
Used with permission from: http://www.keepcalmstudio.com


*hugs*
Elyzabeth M. VaLey

I love hearing from readers!  




BLURB: 

Kind-hearted Vincent Stowe spent years with an inferiority complex until, one day, after accepting to help an older woman with an odd request he receives a life-changing gift.

“Ice Duchess” Brielle is desperate for a solution to her inability to orgasm, so when word about a man with a magical cock reaches her ears, she decides that he just might be what she needs.

Will Vincent’s "Golden Cock" be enough for the "Ice Duchess", or will something else come to play along the way?


Be Warned: multiple partners, MFM, FFM, m/m sex, f/f sex

2 comments:

Doris O'connor said...

So true. If I get stuck, I read. Works every time. And I love losing myself in someone's else's characters and world.

Elyzabeth M. VaLey said...

I agree with you Doris, there's nothing like losing yourself in a good book :-)