Monday, May 27, 2013

Reread and Delete. Reread and Rewrite. By Raven McAllan


So it's that time again. The 'is this any good or is it a load of cobblers time'. I bet most of us will have those moments even if we don't like to admit to them. Not just writers, but in any part of life. Be it trying out for the school netball team, getting the brush off from the hot guy (or gal) you've fancied for ages, or your latest hero not hot/macho/sensitive/or real enough. It's the wondering if you've cracked it moment.

And really there's no way of telling until you open up and let whatever it is be examined by the powers that be. Except sometimes you just know.

It…Isn't…Right…

That is scary. 

I found myself in that position the other day. The book I'm writing just didn't feel right, and I had no idea why. Others said it was fine, but deep down I knew. It wasn't. How I knew is one of those strange things. This is one of the times you have to follow that insidious shiver, the whisper in your ear and the lump in your stomach. Reread and think. Reread and delete, reread and rewrite.

So I did. And then I sought help. The book in question is on a series I'm writing in collaboration with someone else. I'd gone to bed, couldn't sleep and all these thought were whirring though my mind. But one kept coming back to me. I hadn't finished the prologue. Now I'm one of these people that if I go to bed saying to myself wake up at six, I will do. If I go to bed saying remember this bit of the plot and write it tomorrow, I'll forget it. So I had to get up, FB talk it over, and write it.

I was correct to listen to my mind. It was needed and it is better for it…I hope. Well I won't know until I sub it. But the moral of this rambling is that none of us should ever be afraid to listen to our sub-conscious, or ask for help. We're not alone in our fears, or hopes or dreams to be honest. 

And they do say a worry shared is a worry halved. Oh It won't stop you wondering, well it doesn't me, but if you have friends who you know can be brutally honest, then in one way you're laughing.

The book needs sorting, your netball skills are rusty, why not play cards, or the hot bod was a douche-bag. All comments gratefully received (well no not if you don't agree, but be open minded enough to listen anyway)

And pull up your big girl panties, and get on with it…


Nosy links…

Raven lives in Scotland, along with her husband and their two cats—their children having flown the nest—surrounded by beautiful scenery, which inspires a lot of the settings in her books.
She is used to sharing her life with the occasional deer, red squirrel, and lost tourist, to say nothing of the scourge of Scotland—the midge.
A lover of reading, she appreciates the history inside a book, and the chance to peek into the lives of those from years ago. Raven admits that she enjoys the research for her books almost as much as the writing; so much so, that sometimes she realizes she's strayed way past the information she needs to know, and not a paragraph has been added to her WIP. 
Her lovely long-suffering husband is learning to love the dust bunnies, work the Aga, and be on stand-by with a glass of wine.

You can find out more about Raven here… 

Raven McAllan is the author of newly released Cecilia’s Claim, in collaboration with Lee Brazil
Everyone agreed the Brigstock family was unconventional. Just how unconventional could be somewhat of a shock...
She may have turned her men down once, but will she have the resolve to do it again? As danger gets ever closer, Cecy realizes her only chance of safety and happiness is with Caleb and Philippe. Will she risk everything and give them all the chance they need, or will she run?
Be Warned: menage sex (MMF), m/m sex, anal sex, spanking





4 comments:

Havan said...

I completely agree, Raven...in fact a story I subbed for an antho got accepted and I'm still pondering how and trying to figure out what needs to be done...lol

Great blog *hugs* and keep on working it my dear <3

Raven McAllan said...


Thanks Havan...And you'll sort it ... :)

Cherie Nicholls said...

Great post and i couldn't agree more

Raven McAllan said...

Thank you Cherie