Sunday, June 2, 2013

Confessions of an Evernight Newbie by Laurel Cremant


Hello, my name is Laurel Cremant and I write smexy erotic romance. Yes, no need to whisper, I’m the new kid/author on the block. As a matter of fact I proudly shout that fact. Three months ago I was biting my nails worrying about who I was going to submit my book Persuasion Skills to. Two months ago I had my short list of please-please-I-love-you publishing companies ready. I spent a few more weeks asking myself “OMG, am I ready?” before pressing send and getting ready for the best and worse waiting game EVER.

One month later, after all the nail biting and self reflection, I got a short and sweet email from Evernight offering me a contract. ← Notice how there is no exclamation mark here? It’s because in all honesty, I’m still a bit shockie. Why? Well because despite the fact that this isn’t the first book I’ve published, this is the first time I’m working with a publisher and not going at it alone. It’s a lot like being an orphan adopted by a big 1950’s daddy-mommy-and-a-dog-too family. You just want to pinch yourself just to make sure you’re awake.

So as my official Evernight launch day approaches, the pinching has started in earnest and the shock is slowly melting and turning me into a jittery newbie mess. So in an effort to be “grown” a pull up my big girl panties, I figured a little confession would be good for the soul and might help get me through to launch day.

Confession #1: I’ve got the patience of a crack addict in need of a fix. . .
The idea of *gulp* waiting for my book to be released is both nerve racking and the best bit of professional foreplay ever. I love it and I hate it. I check my email daily hourly constantly eager for news. My skin is getting all tingly right now as I type because, well I haven’t checked my email yet this hour, but my heart is racing just knowing that the clock is slowly ticking. Sadly, this whole process has taught me that I may be a bit of a masochist.

Confession #2: I’m a bit awestruck. . .
Evernight has been, well...amazing. I was immediately introduced to all of the authors and joined the Facebook groups and everyone has just been plain awesome. The problem is that the family consists of authors I’ve read and admired and I find myself just plain tongue tied interacting with them. Evernight books have burned craters through my monthly book budgets for well over a year now and just knowing that I get to converse and even share concerns and get advice from these authors still has me a bit awestruck. What’s even more amazing? They are all actually genuinely nice and incredibly welcoming.

Confession #3: I’m a bit incredibly nervous. . .
Even with my first book I was nervous about how it would be received. I worried about letting readers down, but now that I’m part of a family, I also kind of want my Evernight family to be proud as well. Just like readers, they’ve taken a chance on me and I don’t want to let them down. I want to show my new family that yes I can deliver, and ultimately as an author I want readers to finish my book feeling happy and satisfied.

Confession #4: I love writing hot, steamy, tension filled romance. . .
So you would think that this wouldn’t really count as a confession but it really does. As the release of Persuasion Skills approaches, I’m also busy working on my next book. Sometimes I find myself smiling like a loon while writing particularly smexy scenes. I am doing what I love and I wouldn’t trade all of the nervousness and nail biting for anything! ← Oh hey here’s an exclamation point. I guess the whole confession thing is working hmmm…

Okay so there they are—my confessions of an Evernight newbie. I’m actually feeling better already. Thanks for reading/listening and I hope you enjoy Persuasion Skills when it hits the Evernight shelves this summer! ← Whoo hoo ! Another one (two) :)

Persuasion Skills (Coming July 2013)
In the aftermath of a major health scare Pepper Holt’s makes the relief inspired decision to seize the day. Unfortunately most of her “seizing” involves a bit of merlot and her best friends pants! After a shared night of passion she realizes that her feelings for Jax are a lot more complicated than she ever thought.

Jax has finally realized that his allergy to marriage has nothing to do with the institution itself, and everything to do with the women in his bed—specifically the one woman not in his bed. Her reaction to their one night together has him scrambling to regroup. So he does what he knows best—he disappears and he thinks. The plan?—convince Pepper into staying with him at a secluded cabin for one week. One week pretending to be a happily married couple to show her how great they could be together.


About Laurel
Laurel is a romance author, who like most writers loves to read. Her first love (pun intended) has always been romance. From the sappy YA romance novel to the more risqué erotica novels, Laurel is a sucker for a good love story.

Laurel writes paranormal and contemporary romance and is a self proclaimed, out of the closet nerd. She admits that she can't seem to avoid adding a bit of "nerdology" or "geek-dom" to all of her books. Living in Miami, she also admits that she can't seem to avoid giving her heroines gorgeous shoes, "In Miami, we worship everything strappy, open toed and just plain hot!"

You can learn more about Laurel on the interwebs:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/LaurelCremantAuthoravoid giving her heroines gorgeous shoes, "In Miami, we worship everything strappy, open toed and just plain hot!"

You can learn more about Laurel on the interwebs:

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay! Congratulations on Persuasion Skills being picked up by Evernight. I don't know who'd have the patience of saint when it came to their first book being published.
Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

Laurel Cremant said...

Thanks Kristin! Yes, I'm still working on the patience thing. I managed to survive the weekend relatively sane, now to get through the next month :)

Sasha Hibbs said...

I enjoyed this. As a newbie myself, I read and kept saying, "Check, yep, check, check." How exciting! And all the EP authors are wonderful and welcoming.

Carlene Love said...

Laurel! This was very charming and entertaining! Great post :)

Laurel Cremant said...

Thanks Sasha and Carlene. The last month has definitely been memorable. Plus I only checked my email three times today so I'm thinking, I may be getting better. . . or just might be slightly concussed. . .either way I guess that's progress :)

Doris O'connor said...

Ah, Laurel, you took me right back to my debut which was with Evernight. Such an exciting and nail biting time.

I'd like to say it gets easier, but I still turn into a gibbering wreck come each new release day.

Enjoy the ride, and I love the sound of your book :-)

Laurel Cremant said...

It's certainly nice to know I'm not the only one going crazy in a corner :)