Monday, December 16, 2013

25 Days of #HotHolidayHints: Day 16 with Kacey Hammell


Kacey Hammell tells us how she survives the holidays with a little help on Day 16 of 25 Days of Hot Holiday Hints! Leave Kacey a comment for a chance to in a $5 gift certificate. We're giving one away each day!


As Moms we like to believe that we can do it all. We’re all Wonder Women who can organize, bake, chauffeur the kids, never miss a meeting, clean, do the laundry, wrap presents, shop for everyone, and put the tree up … all on our own.

Or is it just me that thinks this every year??? LOL  I’m a control freak who likes tradition, things done very specifically and relinquishing control is not something I’m used to. And every year, we have a lot of family come home – usually about 40 people, young and old – on the homestead talking loud, over one another and acting it’s a total blast. And everyone stays on the homestead too – we have 2 houses on the same land, so we have plenty of room. It is a lot of fun, and the only time I get to see many of my relatives every year.
And up until a few years ago, I was the one preparing everything for our dinner, games, snacks, etc. It’s just the way I am. I wanted perfect and believed I could be the only one to do it all right, and since a lot of the family traveled quite far, I couldn’t very well ask them to bring food, etc. right?

Wrong!

With the many women of the clan, we’ve all worked it out, and POTLUCK is my favourite new word. After a lot of work and discussion, those that travel the furthest will bring something nonperishable, or a dessert that will sustain a car/plane ride (most live all over Canada), and those that have shorter travel times will make some hot food that can be easily transported – crockpots are such a blessing – and Mom & myself do the turkey here.
So the long-winded message here – POTLUCKS & DELEGATION !!!!

I find that I don’t stress that much any longer and I get to spend much more time with the family. I’m more thankful for the less stress than anything, truthfully, I’d run myself ragged then sleep New Year’s Day away after everyone had left.

So all Moms – and I hope no one is as crazy as I used to be – don’t take on everything yourself. Learn to delegate, sit back and let things happen as they will, and take time to spend with family.

After all, that’s what the holidays are all about.

Kacey Hammell is the author of the Club Splendor series.



Bridget Guthrie and Zander Hudson have worked at Club Splendor together for years, sharing smoldering glances, flirting, and building a friendship. Thanks to the club’s strict policy of no staff fraternization, they’ve resisted how much they truly want each another.

With Bridget leaving to explore her dreams, they no longer have to hide their passions. After hours, in one of the pleasure rooms at Club Splendor, they finally give in to the burning desire they’ve held at bay for too long.  She’s taken care of other people’s love lives for so long while at the club, can she find the courage to take care of her own needs and fantasies? 

Find SWEETEST SPLENDOR here!


24 comments:

amy bowens said...

Kacey I am the same way. I have to be in charge of everything. But now the one time of year I give up that control is Christmas. I do nothing but relax . Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas! Loved this book and can't wait to read your next! amybowrns34@yahoo.com

Jessica Hale said...

at least its less stressful now for you.

jessicaoz(at)hotmail(dot)com

Lorraine Lesar said...

Great idea and seems to work for your family. I am the most organised person going, unfortunately, my family aren't! I am sure that I was given the wrong babies at the hospital (both times!). Merry Christmas,

angieia said...

You are right. I do try to do everything myself, too. We don't have much family around so we don't get together with much anymore. I prefer ordering pizza on Christmas Eve with my mom and to go visit my grandma when she isn't expecting any visitors.

Potlucks are the best though!! You can get some really great food and recipes.

Have a Merry Christmas!!

angiek@cfu.net

Sheri Vidal said...

Potluck is definitely the best way to do it! :)

smurfettev AT gmail DOT com

bibbiesparks said...

I think potluck is a great idea because everyone has different taste and you don't want to insult anyone bibbiesparks@yahoo.com

Margaret Hughes said...

It's so hard to give up control, but so worth it! I used to be just like you and a couple of years ago started delegating out the cooking and trimmings and now I can enjoy more of the fun! Sounds like you have quite the party going on - hope you have a wonderful time with your family!

ShirleyAnn said...

Such a great idea and you and your family can spend more time together that's what Christmas is for.

ShirleyAnn@speakman40.freeserve.co.uk

Cathy Brockman said...

great tip!! I like ot do things myself so i just shortened and simplified my meal your series looks good too! sugar_n_spice63830@yahoo.com

Anne said...

Amen with the delegating. Too many moms take on too much of the work. Kids and men of any age should help out.

acm05atjuno.com

nancy said...

But if I don't do it it won't be done right;acck! I guess that's your point, giving up control but I think I might be too old to change.

Christine said...

I used to go all out for Christmas, but not anymore. My kids are all grown and out on their own, so we go to their houses and let them do all that work, lol. thanks for the giveaway lacombejc at suddenlink dot net

Life Without Frank said...

I'm not organized so when it's my turn to host Christmas, all the ladies chip in. My mom and aunts and cousins cook the food, arrange for plates, cups, utensils, all of it. I really am lucky, if they didn't it would probably be Lucky Charms for Christmas for everyone.

Cathy Hart said...

I think it is moms everywhere. :) It took many of years for me to learn this lesson. Now the Holidays are a lot more fun...

Marie Mattingly-Woods said...

I'm the same, however, the last few years (since my sister got engaged) she has taken over dealing with all that for our family. I'm much happier with her being hostess for the holidays, especially when we travel to my in-laws (like we are this year).

elaing8 said...

I do everything too now. Not because I have to control everything, its to help my Mom out. If it was up to her she'd do it. But I'd rather let her enjoy the kids and relax.

love to read said...

I used to try to do a lot for everyone else as I had no family now I can't and sometimes it's hard when you can't do anything

Vanessa N. said...

It really is hard to give up control and delegate tasks. Great cover.

mythic021@gmail.com

Armenia said...

I'm type A personality, so I know what being a control freak is all about. But it sure is hard when you have lots of family visiting and you're the one to cook it all. I love your tip.

What we've done in the past is each night is each family clan gets a night of what they want to serve up. And this is planned ahead. So we get pizza night, pasta night, Chinese take out, etc.

It works out for us.

Merry Christmas to you and family.
Armenia

Michelle said...

I like to be useful...sometimes that's a bad thing! :)
This book sounds verrrry interesting. Thanks!

Lee Todd said...

everyone brings a plate for our Christmas lunches...mmmm salads (I'm in Australia...salads work better!!) :)

lisagkendall said...

We tried Pot Luck for Thanksgiving and it was the best ever.... I'm thinking it will be the only way from now on. Thanks for suggesting it for Christmas. lisagk(at)yahoo

Emily said...

I'm a bit of the opposite. Christmas time is the one time a year I'm not a huge control freak, I let go and relax. And then I look forward to that peace for a whole nother year :)

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

KaceyHammell said...

Happy Holidays to all of you!! I love hearing your ways of doing things and am glad I'm not the only control freak around! LOL

Took me a bit, but realized that I can't control everything and that's not what the holidays are all about. And nothing/no one is perfect.

Enjoy your family time. Have lots of fun and soak in the laughter!

Hugs and love to all.