Wednesday, December 25, 2013

25 Days of #HotHolidayHints: Day 25 with Nicky Penttila


We've reached the last day of 25 Days of Hot Holiday Hints! Thank you for supporting our authors each day. We hope you enjoyed our daily feature and collected some new recipes, tips and traditions.

Nicky Penttila wraps up with one of her favorite things about the holidays: visiting with family and friends...


One of the things I love about this season is how we get to spend time with our far-flung people, the ones we hardly ever see.  I love to catch up, to hear what has changed in their lives and what still brings them joy. Watching my family and friends’ expressions as they hear what new hobbies and cracked ideas our buddies come up with is priceless.

But don’t stop with current events. My nieces and nephews don’t know all those stories about the “old times” that I heard through the years from my grandparents and parents, and neither do those newly adopted into the fold (spouses, partners, and others).

Ask your elders to share their history, and consider recording their reminiscences. My grandmother died this year, and I wish I had taken a recording of her voice and the way she told her stories.

We wish you and yours comfort and joy. And lots of time for reading!

Nicky Penttila is the author of The Science of Second Chances and a number of other books found here!



She hasn't seen him since they walked away from each other 18 years ago. Now he's coming to town. Dare she open that door again?

The Science of Second Chances is available here!

6 comments:

elaing8 said...

Merry Christmas.

My Dad always tells story of the 'old days' to my nieces and nephews. It gets pretty funny sometimes how he changes the stories from when I heard them as a kid.

Thank you Evernight and all the authors for a great event.
I hope you are all having a wonderful day.

angieia said...

My dad tape recorded my grandma's story about coming from the old country to the US. I need to transcribe them.

My cousin who I don't see very often sends a great Christmas letter catching everyone up. I am always laughing about something that has happened that she tells about.

Have a Merry Christmas!!

amy bowens said...

When I was growing up hearing the stories of the old days from my parents and grandparents I can remember how bored I was, not I hear myself tell my children in my old day stories and I think are they bored too. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and so sorry to hear of your loss. You usually feel it the most when you celebrate a holiday!

Marie Mattingly-Woods said...

Just leaving from the in-laws. Marie.mattingly88@gmail.com

Life Without Frank said...

Ironic you should mention taping your grandmother telling stories. My mother gave me about 10 casette tapes of my grandfather and I talking, he telling me bedtime stories, etc for Christmas.

Shannon
sabai30705 at yahoo dot com

Nicky P said...

That's amazing, Shannon! Glad everyone's families are sharing their stories this year.