Wednesday, December 4, 2013

25 Days of #HotHolidayHints: Day 4 with Lila Shaw



It's Day 4 of 25 Days of Hot Holiday Hints! Author Lila Shaw explains how to fill your home with the delicious scents of the holidays with mulled cider. Be sure to leave a comment for Lila because we are giving away a $5 gift card to one random commenter each day!


One of my favorite seasonal treats and scents is mulled cider. The hot drink is super easy to make, especially if you use a crockpot, and the spicy aroma will permeate your home. Perfect for a blustery cold day or for a party.
All you need is a gallon of apple cider and some mulling spices you probably already have in your pantry, especially if you bake. You can tie up your spices in a square of cheesecloth or create a makeshift "teabag" with a coffee filter and some twine to tie it shut. I sometimes throw my spices in loose, but then I have to strain the cider before serving to remove the debris.
I use the following spices:
·      Cinnamon sticks, about four (4)
·      Whole allspice (1 tablespoon)
·      Whole cloves (1 tablespoon)
·      Ground Nutmeg, black peppercorns, cardamom pods (optional and to taste)
Some recipes also call for about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and a whole orange sliced. I prefer my cider more tart than sweet, so I do not include those. Your taste buds may say, "Yes, please!"
Throw all your ingredients in a crockpot, cover and set the heat to low, allowing the spices to steep in the cider for several hours. Make it in the morning and forget it, not that you can with that yummy autumn scent filling your home.
Did you know that cinnamon is a natural aphrodisiac? Spend the evening with your loved one and some mulled cider and find out how true this is!
Serves about eighteen (18) for you ménage lovers. ;)
P.S. If you choose to spike your mulled cider, I won't tattle. I'd recommend a little Captain Morgan's spiced rum, Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey or Pinnacle Atomic Hot Vodka. Add the alcohol just before serving. Shhh...  

Lila Shaw is the author of All's Fair In Love and War and a number of other books found here!


Only two obstacles block Shelby Donaldson’s path to success at her new job—her sizzling hot supervisor and his freezing cold attitude. Maybe her flirting got a little out of hand at first, but that’s no reason for Mr. Sighs-A-Lot to screw her over in her performance review.

Colin Montoya is not going to fall for Shelby’s sex-in-a-suit brand of temptation. He’s got her number and is not going to dial it, nor is he going to allow Shelby’s philandering brother to marry his baby sister.

After an explosive one-night stand goes awry, battle lines are drawn.  But can the warring co-workers negotiate a cease-fire long enough to realize their romantic fortunes might just lie in each other?




7 comments:

Carlene Love said...

Hahahaha, this had me cracking up! That's quite a ménage! "Serves about eighteen (18) for you ménage lovers. ;)" Love your recipe and will try this on hubby...Happy Holidays Lila!

angieia said...

The recipe sounds really good. My co-worker uses an older bigger multi-cup coffee maker, the 18 cup plus kind. I am going to have to try this recipe.

Your book sounds really interesting.
angiek@cfu.net

amy bowens said...

The recipe sounds yummy and great for a cold day! Love the cover of your book it looks hot!
amybowens34@yahoo.com

Lila Shaw said...

Angie and Amy,
Thanks! I haven't made this recipe in a while but I've been eyeballing the apple juice lately in the store so I should be making up a batch real soon. **Adds liquor to shopping list too**

Thanks for the kind words about All's Fair too. :)

Glad I could make you laugh, Carlene. Go big or go home when it comes to menages is what I always say!! (Well, not really, but it sounds good in theory.)

Kim Pinch said...

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to make some and have the house smelling yummy.

elaing8 said...

I have never tried mulled cider before. I'll have to try this.
Happy Holidays
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Gina said...

Lila, Haha! Awesome! Going to try this over the holidays!