Saturday, February 22, 2014

Love Around the World with C.R. Moss


C.R. Moss on being nomadic…sort of…

Hi all! I’m happy to be a part of Evernight’s ‘Love Around the World.’ Hope y’all have been enjoying this event. :)

Now, you might be wondering what the meaning of my title is. Right now I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, but I was born and raised in central New Jersey, and I’ve moved quite a bit in my 40+ years. Granted, there are probably people who have lived in more places/moved more times than I have, and I feel like I’ve settled for the time being, so hence the ‘sort of.’

Let’s see… NJ - Nice enough when I was growing up before the McMansions and McTownhomes took over the farms, and the area I lived in went from rural to urban.

At eighteen, I moved to Kentucky. Went to UK Lexington for a year, then found an apartment with a friend of mine, settled down into a job, moved to a different apartment and then got laid off. So back to NJ I went and back into college. Spent some time in a study abroad in southern Germany. Loved it there. It was great to traipse around Europe for a while.

I returned to NJ again, got married, and we went to Ft. Hood, Texas (hubs was in the military.) Loved it there, too! So nice and warm compared to the winter we’d left behind. When he was discharged, we gave living in TX a bit of a go, but ended up returning back to NJ.

After being back in NJ for a bit, DH & I bought our first place and within a few years decided NJ wasn’t for us anymore. We looked at a handful of cities. Back to TX? Nah, been there already. We wanted somewhere warm and with better weather since he wanted to train for the Ironman in Hawaii. We’d visited Las Vegas a number of times on vacations and said, “Why not? We know the area and the weather is great.” So with only a solid maybe of a job for him, we sold our place, packed up and moved cross country. Since we’ve been here, we’ve lived in three places. And, wouldn’t you know it, this past weekend (of writing this post) the M word (‘move’) has been mentioned again. Maybe another house? A piece of land and build our dream home? There’re even whispers of going back to TX (due to his job). I told him that’d be nice, but I don’t want to leave Vegas. At least not yet. If the Austin, TX aspect of his job does come to fruition, we hope to rent a temporary place there and do some ‘commuting’ between the two places. But that’s a big ‘if.’

I’ve moved a total of fifteen times in my life so far. I’ve also traveled a lot, out of the country and within and experienced life in many places. So settling in Las Vegas isn’t a willy-nilly decision. When people question me about moving/living here—the populace, the traffic, no seasons, so hot…(some of the concerns I’ve heard)—I have to say all that doesn’t bother me. (Okay, so the traffic drives me nuts…good thing I work from home…) I love the warmth, the fact that there are 300+ days of sun, and that my heat has barely run this winter. If I want to see the ‘seasons,’ I can watch the leaves on the trees in our neighborhood turn colors in the fall and bloom with white and pink flowers in the spring. I can go see snow up at the ski resort if I feel the need to, and I can do it in the spring when I know the roads will be clear. Summertime? Well, that’s what AC is for.

There’s a lot of entertainment, great food and other things to do on the strip, but we only go down there on occasion. What I like best is how you can go a few minutes outside the city limits and experience the beauty of nature—a soft breeze on the skin, listen to the rustling of the vegetation and maybe the call of a bird or whinny of a wild horse, view a vista of varying colors and landscapes under a big blue sky… It’s magical, mystical, peaceful.




Yep, I’ve become a desert rat, and the southwest is my home.

C.R. Moss co-writes the Double D Ranch Tales series with R.M. Sotera, including book 3, Wild West Promise...



Double D Ranch Tales, 3

Times are wild on the Double D, and one ranch hand is in for the ride of a lifetime.

Maggie O’Hurley doesn’t know her life is about to change. After visiting the ranch to attend a friend’s bachelorette party, she meets a wrangler named Kent. Her immediate attraction to him revs up her libido, and she plans to do what’s needed to snag the sexy cowboy…including making a decision she never thought she would again.

Kent Samuels hasn’t been with a woman in ages. When a bewitching redhead steps into his path, his world tilts. She’s all he can think of. He doesn’t know if he’s able to give her forever, but he will give her what time he has. Once he does, he knows he can’t let her go.

Past experiences war with ideas for the future, but can the pair make promises they can keep?




2 comments:

Carlene Love said...

Hi C.R.! Your post brought back memories of the years I spent growing up in Vegas. You're right, there are many beautiful and natural things to enjoy in addition to all the shiny lights at night. Childhood fave places for me were the Valley of Fire and Mouse's Tank, Bonnie Springs, Mount Charleston, Lake Mead, Boulder Dam...Gosh didn't realize how much I missed the place! Thank you so much for sharing. xoxo

C.R. Moss said...

Thanks for stopping by Carlene! Seems you and I switched places... I came out here & you went to the east coast. ;) We have friends who live in DC and that's one thing we miss, being able to go down there and hang out with them. Valley of Fire is a cool place!
=)
C.R.