Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Door to the World by Erin M. Leaf

We posed the following question to our authors: 
"What does education mean to you?"

As usual, our authors did not disappoint! Please join us throughout the week as we share their incredible stories and memories. 

Please welcome best selling author, Erin M. Leaf...

I grew up in a very poor town in northeastern Pennsylvania. Most of the available jobs were menial and male-centric (factory work and mining), and the economy was failing. The only way out that I could see was to somehow go to college. I was certain that somewhere there was a place where a woman might have the opportunity to become more than a footnote to a man. Through a combination of luck, federal loans, and a great deal of hard work, I managed to go to college. I was the first woman in my family to attain a bachelor’s degree.

Education, for me, was a door that opened out into the greater world. Beyond the door were things I didn’t even know existed when I was seventeen: stability, career opportunities, and most importantly, the liberty to choose my life’s course. If I hadn’t had the help of my teachers in high school, my life would be very different today. If I hadn’t learned from a few excellent professors in college, I would never have become an author. If I hadn’t met independent women at my first two jobs, women who taught me what it meant to work as a professional writer, I would never have escaped the poverty of where I was born.

Education opens minds. It teaches not just facts and history and sums—it gifts women with the knowledge that there is more to life than the small room where they were born. Sometimes, learning that there is life beyond the door to that room is the only thing that gives girls the courage to turn the knob and slip out into the wide world. Education is both the door and the ability to open the door. Without it, life is mere survival. With education, life can be so much more.

Erin M. Leaf is an erotic romance devotee, the steamier the better. Ménage is her favorite flavor of sultry because nothing is more smoking than two gorgeous men loving one lucky woman. After years of devouring romance novels, Erintried out technical writing, editing, and proofreading before turning her fingertips to writing, mostly because she loves a happily-ever-after ending every time.

Erin is a multi-published, best selling author of more than a dozen Evernight titles. Most recently you can find Erin's Planet Alpha books, BROKEN and DAMAGED on Amazon, All Romance and BookStrand's best seller lists. 


Give the Gift of Education

We will donate 100% of  sales from the Evernight and Evernight Teen websites from July 15 - 21 to World Vision's Education for Girls Fund.

"Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom." ~ George Washington Carver






2 comments:

Erin M. Leaf said...

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to talk about what education means to me. :-)

Carlene Love said...

Hi Erin,
Thank you for sharing with us. I'm so proud to call you Evernight sister. :)